Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 82 mal aufgerufen
 Fragen ans Forum
Dogcat250 Offline

Premium-Poster

15.02.2019 03:22
A bad decision cost him a chance Antworten

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Martin Kaymer never lost sight of opportunity even amid so much evidence of trouble in the closing stretch Sunday at The Players Championship. A bad chip led to double bogey. A bad decision cost him a chance at birdie. With his lead suddenly down to one shot, he watched his ball soar against the grey sky toward the scariest island in golf and figured it would be fine. What followed was a bounce sideways instead of forward, mystifying spin that nearly sent his ball over the edge and into the drink, a chip with his feet pressed near the wooden frame of the island and a 30-foot par putt that Kaymer chalked up to instinct and luck. "It was a very strange way to make 3," he said. But it was enough to carry the 29-year-old German to a one-shot victory over Jim Furyk in a final round filled with stress, emotion and a large dose of satisfaction. Kaymer got up-and-down with his putter from short of the 18th green for one last par, giving him a 1-under 71 and his first victory in nearly 18 months. The only time he nearly lost his composure was when talking about his mother, Rina, who died of cancer six years. He has a sunflower, her favourite flower, on his golf bag. His brother, Phillip, sent him a text that he described only as a "very emotional." "To win on Mothers Day ... we show our parents way too little," he said. "We always need some occasions to show them, which is what you realize when theyre not there anymore. So to win on those days ... it adds a little bit of a nice thing to the whole week. "I think about her every day. I dont need a Mothers Day." Furyk closed with a 66, having to wait out a 90-minute rain delay to make a 3-foot par putt. It looked as though it might be enough to force a playoff, or even win outright when Kaymer started to struggle. Just as he did last week at Quail Hollow, Furyk could only watch on TV from the locker room and settle for second place. "I did what I could," Furyk said. "I left it all on the golf course, and I hung it all out there today and every cliche you can think of. I played hard today." Sergio Garcia (70) finished alone in third, though he never got within two shots of the lead at any point. David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., finished in a tie for sixth. That wasnt the case with 20-year-old Jordan Spieth, who was tied with Kaymer going into the final round. He made his first bogey of the tournament on the fifth hole, and four more bogeys followed in his round of 74. He tied for fourth. "Im stinging right now," Spieth said, a runner-up at the Masters. "Its not fun being that close and having opportunities and being in the lead on Sunday and not pulling it off." The typical stress that Sawgrass brings on Sunday was contained to the final hour, and it was almost more than Kaymer could take. He was sailing along until the lightning flashes and rain forced the rain delay. He had a three-shot lead with five holes left and was a different player when the round resumed. He made double bogey from an aggressive play behind a pine tree on the 15th. He nervously chose putter from a collection area on the par-5 16th that turned a simple chance at birdie into a par. Nothing could top the 17th hole, the most exciting on the Stadium Course. When his chip shot stopped just inside 30 feet from the hole, and bogey looked certain, Kaymer figured he still had one more hole. He couldnt see the line in the approaching darkness, though he remembered it from practice rounds. When it dropped, he walked to the side and slammed his clenched fist in celebration, rare emotion for the German. "Making a putt like this is more than big," he said. "I think I will realize it the next few days." Kaymer finished at 13-under 275 and joined an elite group by winning the biggest event on golfs strongest tour. Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and Adam Scott are the only other players to win a major, a World Golf Championship and The Players Championship. For Spieth, it was his second big tournament in the final group. Tied for the lead through seven holes, he dropped shots to Kaymer on each of the next four holes -- two bogeys by Spieth, two birdies by Kaymer. Kaymer had just over 3 feet left for par on the 18th, and it made him think of his winning putt to beat Steve Stricker and ensure that Europe kept the Ryder Cup at Medinah two years ago. The celebration was different. This was for him, and a long journey back from when he won the 2010 PGA Championship, reached No. 1 in the world six months later, and then set out to improve his swing to avoid being a one-dimensional player. "When I was standing over the putt, I just thought, It would be really nice to make that putt now, would be a very nice way to finish," he said. Custom Houston Texans Jerseys .The Toronto Raptors guard, who will represent the Eastern Conference at the All-Star Game in New Orleans on Sunday, says he doesnt complain in the face of adversity "because I know this little girl is just happy for anything. Sammie Coates Jersey .That means, of course, that John Wall beat the Spurs for the first time ever — within weeks of his first wins in head-to-head games against nemeses Chris Paul and Derrick Rose. http://www.officialauthentictexansstore....jersey.html.com) - Maria Sharapova reached her 10th career grand slam final after beating Ekaterina Makarova in straight sets at the Australian Open on Thursday. Sammie Coates Texans Jersey . A player confirmed to TSN on the condition of anonymity that he received his ballot yesterday. Another confirms hes been told to expect his shortly. "The unions executive committee insists a strike vote does not mean were pushing away from the table," the player said. "But we want the league to know were serious about our position. Justin Reid Jersey . The defending champions sent their preliminary list to FIFA on Tuesday, with coach Vicente del Bosque to announce the final 23-man squad on May 25. Costa is set to lead the attack in his native Brazil, with Atletico Madrid teammate David Villa and Chelseas Fernando Torres also included, while David de Gea replaces injured goalkeeper Victor Valdes.MANCHESTER, England -- Manchester United signed midfielder Ander Herrera from Athletic Bilbao on Thursday, the first recruit since Louis van Gaal took charge of the struggling club. The 24-year-old Herrera will join on a four-year contract after he receives an international transfer certificate. United says it triggered a buyout clause in Herreras contract. Herrera will be tasked with helping the 20-time English champions return to the Premier Leagues top four to qualify for the Champions League after finishing in seventh place last month. Uniteds dire formm in the first season following Alex Fergusons retirement led to David Moyes being fired as manager.dddddddddddd Van Gaal was hired last month, but wont take charge until completing the World Cup with the Netherlands. Ryan Giggs, who stayed on as a temporary stint in charge as assistant manager, said Herrera was signed for his "great energy and creativity." "We believe him to be one of the brightest young prospects in Spain," Giggs said. "Im looking forward to seeing him in action on our summer tour to America." Wholesale Hoodies NFL Shirts Outlet Jerseys NFL Wholesale Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys ' ' '

Sprung  
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz